1. causing great horror or fear; frightful or macabre
synonyms: terrible, horrible, grim, awful, dire
The dudes discovered a ghastly underground maze.
2. extremely unwell.
synonyms: unpleasant, distasteful, awful, dreadful, vile
I feel quite ghastly any time I skip coffee.
1. an action such as a prolonged speech that obstructs progress in a legislative assembly while not technically contravening the required procedures.
Today’s filibuster obstructed all progress for an entire afternoon, and six liars yawned. As usual, nothing was accomplished. Good job America.
synonyms: stonewalling, delaying tactics, procrastination, obstruction, temporizing
2. historical: a person engaging in unauthorized warfare against a foreign country.
1. act in an obstructive manner in a legislature, especially by speaking at inordinate length.
The liar filibustered for hours and thus the bill was never passed because all the other liars were six feet under by the time the first came up for a breath of air.
“Can we quit all this filibustering and get down to business?”
1. showing a willingness to take surprisingly bold risks
“The prince’s audacious plan to save the princess included crossing the deathly forest and killing the dragon.
2. showing an impudent lack of respect
“The driver had the audacity to ask the police man if he wanted a doughnut with his coffee.”